Thursday 2 May 2013

Construction

We have had quite a bit of construction going on in room 109. Today I went around the room and gathered evidence of student learning. Here are some of the great things being built, both individually and collaboratively.

Two of our students, just beginning to expressive themselves in English, were hard at work creating gardens and homes. When I asked them what they had built they replied using complete sentences in English. I am beeming because these kiddos felt confident enough to converse with me in English.


E. I made a garden. I have a tree. Look at light.

F. I see a tree. Lots of trees in garden. Look a Christmas tree. I made a house.

I am so proud of these two kiddos!

At the carpet area, we have had a few boys very engaged in building roads for the cars to race along. Although I am often reminding them to not throw the cars, their enthusiasm is very engaging. Over the past few weeks they have become quite adept at building roads with edges - so the cars continue along the path to the drop off zone.



Today, we saw an extention to their basic construction with the addition of cans at intervals past the end of the ramp. When asked what they were for, one of the boys said: for the garage at the end. Next they began talking about having to pay $2 million dollars for the garage - I think I will need to collect some money and car magazines and have a mini-lesson on the value of car repairs.

Thanks for the intro into learning about money, boys!

Our last construction site began underway a few days ago. With plans created first, and then the construction, our LegoLand is coming along nicely.


Although originally starting off with some houses, it has rapidly grown to include several boats.

In the past I have always had some of the Lego characters in with the little lego pieces, however this time I informed the kiddos that I had removed all those pieces and they needed to use their imaginations. At first we had one little guy who couldn't get past the idea of not figurines and was ready to start another activity, but we sat and talked about perseverance. Soon enough, with the coaxing of his firends, he began to dig into his imagination to create his own people.

I love watching the collaboration at this centre. The sharing of Lego pieces, the sharing of ideas, and the collaboration to build a complete town/waterfront together with all the components.

Again, I am a very proud K teacher!

We would love to hear what our parents think of our construction!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment